- From among the various alarm systems available, it is recommended that you have an alarm system that is monitored off-site, so that the alarm company can alert the police, if applicable.
- Choose a specialized company which provides a guarantee. Your system should be certified by the Underwriters Laboratories of Canada (ULC).
- Test the alarm system regularly.
- The alarm system should be connected to an auxiliary power source so that it remains functional during a power outage.
- Put stickers on doors and windows indicating that your home is equipped with an alarm system.
1 N.B. Alarm systems are not foolproof. Don't forget to apply prevention advice and other necessary precautions to avoid being the victim of a B&E.